Home is essentially an energy warehouse and channelizing this energy is what Vastu is all about. The kitchen, specifically, is the place where food is prepared, the food that provides energy to everyone at home, and hence, Vastu tips for the kitchen are the source of the energy that we utilize to live our lives.
By making small and simple Vastu modifications to the Kitchen you can enhance the energy atmosphere of the kitchen and thereby your home. Implement these kitchen Vastu direction tips for your cooking space and cookware to energise your home with positivity!
Vastu Tips for Kitchen That Work-
1. The direction of the Kitchen
- If you are yet to decide the layout of the home then make sure you allot the Southeast corner for your kitchen. The southeast corner is said to be the “Agni moola” of the home and it is where a kitchen should be placed.
- If not, choose the northwest part of the home.
- Kitchen Vastu direction advises to avoid the southwest and northeast direction for placing the kitchen. It is considered a Vastu defect as it might give rise to various disturbances among family members.
- While designing the home, it is important to consider certain points concerning the direction of the kitchen. An important tip for your kitchen direction as per Vastu is that it should never face the main entrance of the home.
- In the case of duplex villas, avoid having your kitchen directly under or above the pooja room, bedroom, or toilet.
2. Kitchen Vastu Direction
While designing the home, it is important to consider certain points with respect to the direction of the kitchen. An important Vastu tip for the kitchen is that it should never face the main entrance of the home. In the case of duplex villas, avoid having your kitchen directly under or above the pooja room, bedroom, or toilets.
3. Colour of the Kitchen
Next comes the Vastu colours for the kitchen:
- While black is considered inauspicious, vibrant colours are said to enhance positivity.
- The recommended Vastu colours for the kitchen are vibrant shades of orange, white, yellow, green, pink, and chocolate brown.
- The kitchen platforms may be predominantly green, yellow, orange, or a combination of them.
As per Vastu guidelines, the recommended colour of the kitchen may vary according to the direction of the kitchen. Here’s a table for the same:
South & Southeast
Shades of orange, red, pink, and brown
Shades of white and grey
Shades of yellow and golden
4. Entrance and Windows of the Kitchen
One should enter the kitchen from the east, north, or west direction:
- So the entrance of your kitchen direction as per Vastu is in East, North or West walls.
- Design in such a way that the entrance is in the middle and not in the corner of the wall.
- The entrance of the kitchen may be left open.
- In case there are doors, make sure that they always open in a clockwise direction.
- Ensure sufficient airflow in the kitchen by placing at least two windows.
- It is good to have the window opening in the north, east or northeast part of the kitchen.
- Having a window in the east direction will let the early morning sun’s rays enter the kitchen thus providing the home with good health and prosperity.
- Also, place the exhaust fan in any of the windows so that the negative energies can flow out.
5. The ambiance of the Kitchen
A kitchen should always be kept clean and clutter-free. It helps one to cook with ease and enhances the mood with positivity:
- The ambience of the kitchen must be inviting and appetising.
- Design your kitchen with ample storage space.
- Fruit baskets should be kept full and fresh as it symbolises abundance. Place it on the northern side of the kitchen.
- Enhance the positivity of the kitchen space by keeping a tulsi, pudina, bamboo, or any other herbal plant in the window area of the kitchen.
- Ensure that the kitchen sink never stinks. The kitchen atmosphere must be fresh and odourless.
6. Placement of Appliances
Undoubtedly, the kitchen is the most productive compartment of any home. That’s why kitchen Vastu direction for appliances becomes important too. Remember that the hearth of a home, water storage, and other kitchen appliances are in the right place attuning to the energy reserves of a home.
Where To Place The Hearth?
The southeast part of your entire kitchen direction as per Vastu is the abode of the Lord of fire, the right place to put the stove or gas burner is the southeast corner of the kitchen.
It is good to place the stove and the adjacent chimney in a direction that enables the main cooking person to face the east while cooking. This is one of the primary goals and an important tip of kitchen position as per Vastu that you must never ignore. Because the direction towards which the person faces while preparing food will have an impact on their energy levels.
Also as a safety precaution place the stove a few inches away from the wall. It also makes cooking and cleaning convenient.
Where To Place The Washbasin?
North or northeast is the preferred kitchen direction as per Vastu to place water storage units, washbasins, or sinks in the kitchen.
- Another important Vastu tip for the kitchen is that the stove and sink should not be placed next to each other.
- It is not advisable to place the water elements and fire elements adjacent to each other since it creates an imbalance of energies.
- Even in a small kitchen space, the southeast corner should occupy the stove and the water sink goes in the northeast direction.
- Drinking water and RO units should also be installed in the northeast part, away from the stove.
- Ensure there is no blockage in the water lines of the sink and flush as this might signify blockage of cash flow and other resources.
Where To Place The Refrigerator?
The most often opened doors of any home would be the refrigerator’s doors. In this day and age, the refrigerator has become the primary food storage unit and refrigerators are also a part of the kitchen in many households. Installing it in the right place as per Vastu guidelines is important.
And according to Vastu, the refrigerator can be placed in the south, southeast, or southwest direction. The best position is the South-west corner and avoid the Northeast corner.
Where To Place The Pantry?
The storage elements of the kitchen represent the wealth of the home. As per Vastu, inadequate storage space might give rise to a shortage of resources in all facets of life.
It is advisable to ensure the storage boxes for grains, pulses, spices, salt, and other essentials are full and never empty. Bountiful storage symbolises abundance and enhances the overall well-being of the home.
The southwest corner is signified as the “Kubera moola” or the corner of wealth and that should be the right place to stock your home goods. Avoid northern or eastern walls for storing grains.
Where To Place The Dustbin?
The North-west corner of your entire kitchen direction as per Vastu is considered as the zone of depression, while the South of Southwest direction is the zone of dissipation and immersion. And these are the suitable areas to place the dustbins.
- The northeast direction of the home should always be kept neat and clean. It is said that keeping a dustbin in the northeast attracts negative energy. Remember to avoid this.
- The dustbin should always be covered.
- Disposing the garbage on a daily basis is very important.
- And ensure that the garbage bin is constantly cleaned and is never stinking. Unclean garbage units bring negativity to a home.
Where To Place Electrical Appliances?
Unlike olden days, cooking is never possible without electrical appliances like mixer grinders and juicers. In addition to that, electric kettles, heaters, microwave ovens, baking and griller units, etc also occupy a major part of the kitchen area. These appliances should always be placed in the southeast direction of the kitchen. Also, make sure you never place such electrical equipment in the northeast direction.
Where To Place Cleaning And Cutting Tools?
- In terms of hygiene, avoid having the broom inside the kitchen’s cooking area as it might affect the health of the members of the household.
- Never keep the broom standing. Always keep the broom on the ground not directly exposed to the working area of the kitchen.
- It is good to have a cleaning cloth or tissue paper at a reachable distance at your convenience.
- But ensure they are washed at regular intervals.
- As per kitchen Vastu, cutting tools including knives and scissors should always be kept covered.
- It is best to have them inside the shelf considering safety because it is said that keeping them in the open might lead to bitter relationships and fights with family and friends.
Find Your Perfect Vastu Corner For All Your Items
Main entrance door
East, west, or north
South, southeast, north or west
Electrical cookware (e.g., kettle, induction, microwaves, toasters, etc.)
South or southeast
South or west
Northeast corner for a southeast kitchen
Water filters or water storage
Exhaust fans and windows
Southwest or south
Brooms, knives, cleaning items
Anywhere but always covered
An Endnote on Your Kitchen Direction As Per Vastu
Keep all the above-mentioned general kitchen locations as per Vastu tips in mind and go on to set up the kitchen of your home. Small modifications complying with the Vastu Shastra can lead to better looks and functioning of a kitchen. Of course, all the residents of a home can benefit from it.