If you’re thinking of getting your house painted- be it the exterior or interior, the first question that’ll cross your mind is how much will it cost? Painting indeed gives our home a fresh look, and also helps maintain the walls of the house. Apart from the cost of painting, you’re also probably looking for painting tips and tricks that will help you make the right choice.
Here is a detailed guide on home painting tips and cost per sq ft, and how each of these factors affects the cost per square foot of painting a house so that you budget well!
Factors That Determine The Cost Of Painting A House Per Square Foot In India
1. Interior Vs Exterior Paint
An important factor to consider is what surface needs to be painted- the exterior or the interior? Paint used for interior walls is more expensive than that of exterior walls.
- Painting the exterior walls is tedious as one needs to cover the entire length of the building.
- The climatic conditions, heat, and dust make the exterior walls rough.
- Smoothing and finishing require lots of effort and time.
- Painting the interior wall is less tedious.
- Interior paint is more lustrous.
- Depends on the number of colors used and the type of paint used.
|Interior Vs Exterior||Cost|
|Interior||From ₹12 to ₹35 per square foot|
|Exterior||From ₹13 per square foot + labor charges|
2. Fresh Vs Repaint
- Needs 1 to 2 coats of putty, primer, and at least 2 to 3 coats of paint.
- More expensive.
- Touch-up putty and primer coupled with 1 to 2 coats of paint.
- Less expensive.
|Fresh Vs Repainting||Cost|
|Fresh Painting Cost||From ₹20 to ₹38 per square foot|
|Repainting Cost||From ₹12 to ₹28 per square foot|
3. Type Of Paint
The cost of painting will depend on the kinds of paint you choose.
Water-soluble distemper paints
- Least durable
- Have a strong odor
Emulsion paints (water and oil-based)
- Standard quality for painting now.
- Durable and often washable as well
- Some of them have anti-fungal and mildew properties.
- The cost of emulsion paint comes in a wide range depending on the different finishes, like matte, pearl, glossy, etc.
- The most expensive option of them all.
- Used mainly for accent walls
- Require special base preparation, tools, and additional labor charges for the desired effect.
4. Single Color Vs Multi-Color
Using a single color to paint, is certainly cheaper than using multiple ones, because of economies of scale. The more colors you use, the higher it costs. Using multiple colors results in high wastage. Selecting a darker shade increases the cost of painting whereas it is cheaper to paint lighter shades
5. Cost Of Materials
You’ll need the following materials for an exterior painting job:
- Masking paper
- Masking plastic
The amount of these materials depend on how much prepping is required—more prep means more primer and caulking.
6. Cost Of Labour
Labor charges vary from one city to another. Cost may differ within city limits, charges being higher where the standard of living is higher. The level of skill required also determines the labor cost in most cases. Branded painting services offer better finishes than individual contractors.
The labor cost for painting exterior walls is higher. Hence, it is important to always opt for organized laborers instead of unskilled contractors as it is a safer bet.
Some Important Home Painting Tips And Tricks
- Choose a theme
- Choose a color scheme that resonates with your theme
- Go for high-quality supplies and resources
- Keep sufficient lighting- natural and artificial
Final Words :
Whatever choice you make- either to paint the interior or the exterior, the type and color of paint you use- make sure you don’t compromise with the quality. Water-soluble distemper paints may be cheaper but definitely won’t do the job of emulsion or textured walls. Similarly, unskilled labor can get the job done, but won’t give you the perfect finishing of branded painting services.