How Many Types of Scaffolding in Construction in India?
In addition to serving as a platform for workers during construction, scaffolding is a temporary structure that protects and supports the building in the make. The kind of construction work dictates the kind of scaffolding that is used. Steel or timber is typically used to construct scaffolding. It should be sturdy and stable enough to support the weight of the construction workers and other construction materials that will be placed on it.
We have curated a list of of different scaffolding type in India. Read on to uncover the
What are The Components of Scaffolding?
The following are the components of scaffolding
- Standards: Standards are the framework’s vertical members that are either embedded in the ground or supported by drums or the ground itself.
- Ledgers: Ledgers are the supporting members in the horizontal direction run parallel to the wall.
- Braces: Standards hold braces diagonally in place.
- Putlogs: Putlogs are attached to ledgers at one end and right angles to the wall at the other. This scaffold member is transverse.
- Transoms: Putlogs that are supported on ledgers on both sides are known as transoms.
- Bridle: This is a scaffolding member that is used to connect two wall openings; at the opening, supports one end of the putlog.
- Boarding: Boarding is a horizontal platform supported by logs that are utilized during work to support workers and materials.
- Guard rail: This is a rail that is provided at the working level, similar to a ledger.
- Toeboard: To protect at the working platform’s level, toeboards are boards supported by putlogs that are positioned parallel to ledgers.
7 Different Scaffolding Types in Construction in India
A scaffold me look similar to a layman’s eye but there are different scaffolding types used in construction. Let’s take a look at their names before we learn about them in detail:
- Single scaffold
- Cantilever scaffold
- Double scaffold
- Suspended scaffold
- Steel scaffold
- Trestle scaffold
- Patented scaffold
Types of Scaffolding in India in Detail
1. Single Scaffolding
Bricklayer scaffolding or single scaffold is a scaffolding type that is typically used in brick masonry. Standards, ledgers, putlogs, and other items make up a single scaffolding.
- Ledgers connect the standards at vertical intervals of 1.2 to 1.5 m.
- Putlogs are removed from the hole left in the wall to one end of the ledgers, which are parallel to the wall at a distance of approximately 1.2 m. Putlogs are spaced out 1.2 to 1.5 meters apart.
- The distance between the standards is approximately 2 to 2.5 m.
2. Double Scaffolding
This scaffolding type is also known as mason’s scaffolding because it is typically used in stone masonry. Because of its construction technique, this scaffolding type is also called independent scaffolding.
- Putlogs cannot be supported by drilling holes in stone walls.
- As a result, two rows of scaffolding are built to give it strength.
- These rows are 1 meter away from each other and are 20-30 cm away from the wall.
- The putlogs that are supported by both frames are then placed.
- Rakers and cross braces are provided to increase its strength.
3. Cantilever Scaffolding
Cantilever scaffolding is a type of scaffolding in which a series of needles support the standards and are pulled out through wall holes. This is called a single-outline type framework. Independent or double-frame scaffolding is the alternative type, in which needles are strutted inside the floors through openings.
For the most part, cantilever frameworks are utilized under the following conditions:
- When the ground doesn’t have the ability to support the standards
- When the ground is too close to the wall to be free from traffic
- When the upper portion of the wall is under development
4. Suspended Scaffolding
These types of scaffolding are suspended from roofs using wire ropes, chains, and other means in suspended scaffolding. It can be raised or lowered to the level that we require. This sort of platform is utilized for fixing works, pointing, canvases, and so on.
5. Trestle Scaffolding
This scaffolding type is supported by movable tripods or ladders. Most of the time, trestle scaffolds are used for inside work like painting, making repairs, etc. in a room up to 5 meters in height.
6. Steel Scaffolding
Steel scaffolding is made up of steel tubes that are joined by couplers or fittings made of steel. It is very simple to set up and take down. It is stronger, more durable, and more resistant to fire. It won’t be cheap, but it will make workers safer. Therefore, it is utilized extensively today.
7. Patented Scaffolding
Steel patent scaffoldings with specialized couplings, frames, and other features are known as “patent scaffoldings.” These are scaffoldings that have already been made and are available on the market. This scaffolding type is arranged on brackets that can be adjusted to our desired level in this kind of scaffolding.
A Final Word on Types of Scaffolding
Scaffolding refers to the temporary structures erected around a building or other structures to support workers and materials during construction, repair, or maintenance. Scaffolds provide a stable platform for workers to work at heights safely. There are various types of scaffolding used in the construction industry depending on the nature of the work, the height required, and the available space.
In conclusion, selecting the right type of scaffolding for a particular job is important to ensure the safety of workers and the efficient completion of the work. Factors such as the height, available space, and weight capacity of the scaffold should be considered before selecting a type of scaffolding.