Cracking the Code of Dishwasher Sizes!
Before you buy a dishwasher, it’s important to figure out the right size for your kitchen, which involves measuring the depth, width, and height that will fit best. Dishwasher sizes usually come in a standard size of 24 inches wide, 24 inches deep, and 35 inches tall—measurements that most kitchen cabinets are specifically designed to accommodate. It’s worth noting that tall tub dishwashers typically maintain the same dimensions as standard ones.
When you shop for a dishwasher, look for the cabinet opening size it needs for installation. For instance, a dishwasher labeled as 24 inches might be 23-½ inches wide because it needs that much space. Always double-check the product dimensions to ensure it fits in your kitchen before you buy it.
3 Steps To Measure Standard Dishwasher Sizes
When you put in a built-in dishwasher, it needs to be surrounded, including the top. It’s important to pick a dishwasher size that fits your cabinet opening well, but doesn’t make it too tight; it might not slide in properly. It’s better to have a bit of extra space, and if needed, you can cover it with extra trim. Follow these standard dishwasher size guidelines to help you find the right one for your kitchen.
Different dishwasher models have varying utility connections, so remember where the connections are located in your cabinet opening when you’re shopping for a new dishwasher. This will help you plan.
- Check the space between your cabinets in the rough opening.
- To be precise, measure at the top and then at the bottom.
- If you find any difference, use the smaller measurement for accuracy.
- Check how far it is from the floor to the lowest part of your countertop.
- Even if the bottom of the countertop seems flat, measure in two places to allow for any slight slope that might impact the space. First, measure towards the back of the opening, then measure again towards the front.
- Luckily, most dishwashers can be adjusted with their feet to raise them a bit if necessary and to make sure they’re level.
It’s better to measure the empty space for a dishwasher than guess based on an old one. Dishwasher sizes can vary significantly, and if your kitchen has new flooring, it might not go under the dishwasher, so the floor under it could be lower than the rest of your kitchen.
- To figure out what standard dishwasher size to get and where to put it, start by measuring how far it is from the back of where you want to put the dishwasher to the front of your cabinets.
- Make sure to measure along the sides of each cabinet too, in case they’re not all the same.
- When you’re choosing a spot for your dishwasher, remember that you need space for the door to open all the way and for the racks to slide out.
- You should have at least 27 inches of extra space beyond your cabinets for this. This way, you can easily move around your kitchen while you’re cooking and cleaning with the dishwasher.
When you’re designing your kitchen, think about where the handles stick out and where the controls are placed on your new dishwasher. These things won’t change the dishwasher sizes needed to fit, but they will affect how you use it. If you need a place to hang towels and your dishwasher is in a busy spot, dishwashers with pocket handles keep everything smooth and neat.
Do All Dishwashers Come In The Same Size?
Most standard dishwasher sizes fit in the usual kitchen cabinets. So, if you’re getting a new one, that’s likely what you’ll want. But if your space is different, there are smaller and bigger dishwashers for those non-standard spots.
What Other Dishwasher Sizes Are There?
Apart from the regular-sized dishwashers, you can find bigger ones that hold more dishes and smaller ones designed for cosy living spaces. If you’re renting and can’t set up a permanent appliance, portable dishwashers are an option; you can move them when you move.
- Oversized dishwashers are usually much wider, typically between 30 to 42 inches.
- They have similar depths and heights to regular dishwashers, which are 24 inches deep and 35 inches tall.
- Compact dishwashers are on the smaller side, typically measuring between 17 5/8 to 18 inches in width.
- They match the depth and height of standard dishwashers, which are 24 inches deep and 35 inches tall.
- Portable dishwashers are not built into your kitchen; they stand on their own and have wheels.
- When you use them, they connect to your kitchen sink faucet.
- Their dimensions can vary quite a bit, ranging from 18 to 24 inches wide, 36 to 37 inches tall, and 26 to 30 inches deep.
How Many Dishes Can a Dishwasher Hold?
Dishwasher capacity tells you how many dishes a dishwasher can wash at once. Most regular dishwashers can handle around 10 to 12-place settings, which is a common way of categorising dishwasher sizes. Now, let’s break down what one place setting means:
Large dinner plates
Small snack plates
Salad forks + dinner forks
The standard dishwasher size and how many dishes it can hold are different. Just because a dishwasher is big doesn’t mean it can fit more dishes. That’s because every dishwasher is designed uniquely, with different numbers of racks, the way the prongs are arranged, and special features to fit more dishes. So, after you figure out the size that fits your space, think about how much it can hold and its features to find one that suits your needs best.
Do You Need Space Around Your Dishwasher?
Yes, for easy loading and unloading, make sure there are about 27 inches of open space in front of it. If you’re putting it in a corner, leave at least 2 inches of space between the open door and the wall or cabinet.
How Much Space Should Be Between The Countertop And The Dishwasher?
To make sure you have the standard dishwasher size that fits nicely, it’s usually a bit smaller than the space it goes into. This gap, about half an inch, lets the dishwasher fit well between cabinets. You can also look in your dishwasher’s manual to see if there’s a specific amount of space it needs between the dishwasher and the countertop.
Should The Dishwasher Match The Cabinet's Front?
Making sure the dishwasher door lines up with the cabinet doors creates a neat look in your kitchen. If your dishwasher has a pocket handle, it can sit flush with the cabinet doors. But if it has a bar handle, it might stick out a bit from the cabinet’s front.
Choosing the Right Dishwasher Setup
At some point, you’ll have to decide between a front-control or a top-control dishwasher size. Front control dishwashers have visible and easy-to-use cycle options, while top control ones hide the controls for a sleek appearance.
Also, consider the inside of your dishwasher. The outer size doesn’t affect the inside capacity much, but there are ways to create more space. Most have two racks, but those with a 3rd Rack offer extra room for tricky items. Don’t forget to think about needing a dishwasher air gap and how much space it will take up in your kitchen during installation.
Choosing the right dishwasher size in India is a decision that can greatly affect your kitchen’s functionality and overall convenience. As we’ve explored the various sizes and configurations available, it’s evident that there’s no one-size-fits-all solution. Whether you opt for a compact model to save space in a cosy urban kitchen or go for a larger, feature-rich dishwasher to meet the demands of a larger household, understanding your unique needs and kitchen layout is paramount.
In India’s evolving culinary landscape, where time and convenience are increasingly valued, the dishwasher has emerged as a modern kitchen essential. By selecting the standard dishwasher size for your home, you can not only simplify your daily chores but also contribute to a greener, more sustainable lifestyle through efficient water and energy use.
Remember, the perfect dishwasher is the one that seamlessly integrates into your kitchen, making your life easier without compromising on style or efficiency. So, take your time, measure your space, assess your household’s needs, and make an informed choice. With the right dishwasher machine size by your side, you’ll not only keep your dishes sparkling but also gain back precious moments to savour the flavours of life.