If you have been looking at your energy bill lately and finding room for improvement, you just need to look towards advantages of solar energy, that is, the sun. Solar power will allow you to harness the energy of the sun and use it in your home. In some of the cases, you can even be fully able to get disconnected from the main electrical grid or at the very least, help you reduce your dependence on it. At the same time, it will boast low maintenance costs over its lifespan.
Installing solar panels can be a big decision and investment. But, how do you know if the solar is right for you? You must understand the pros and cons below.
What is Solar Energy ?
The sun creates a lot of energy and it takes just 8 minutes for the energy of the sun to make the multi-million-mile trip to earth. In fact, every hour, the earth gets enough solar energy from the sun to power the entire world for a year. This is really impressive.
Now that you know what are the advantages of solar energy and how much potential energy is coming towards our blue planet, you might be wondering how you can actually leverage it for your own home. The answer is Solar panels.
Solar Panels: How Do Solar Panels Work?
Solar panels can capture the energy from the sun and convert it into usable energy for buildings, homes, or swimming pools. Solar panels are made up of photovoltaic cells that convert the energy of the sunlight to an electric current to power your building or home.
What Are The Advantages of Solar Energy ?
Solar energy is indeed one of the best sources of energy, and has efficient upgrades, especially if you are living in a temperate climate with more sunshine and less rain the majority of the year.
Wondering what are the advantages of solar energy? Here are some advantages and reasons why it can be worth the investment.
Benefits Of Solar Power
1.Reduce Environmental Pollution
Solar energy is almost 100% clean compared to fossil fuels that significantly leave the environment polluted. Each year a typical American home generates about 14,920 pounds of carbon dioxide. However, solar panels can help in decreasing your emissions by more than 3,000 pounds annually. However, if you are worried about noise pollution, you have made a good choice with solar panels. When compared to other sources of renewable energy like, for example, residential wind turbines, solar panels provide cleaner and silent energy since there are no moving parts that can make noise.
If you install solar panels through state and federal incentive programs it may save your money. You can go through your own state’s incentive program to know what kind of discount one may be eligible for, as some may offer tax deductions for up to 30% of installation costs. If you want to improve your home with solar power, it could save you between $10,000 to $30,000 over an almost twenty-year period, and it may depend on your location, home size, and electricity usage.
Once solar power is installed, maintenance will be relatively simple, you just need to clean the panels a few times a year, change the inverter once every 5-10 years, and occasional maintenance of the cables.
3.Energy Independence With Solar Power System
A solar upgrade to the home can offer independence from traditional energy sources and solar energy can be helpful in insulating you from inevitable rising energy costs.
Solar Energy: The Answer To Green Energy Conundrum In The Home
Solar energy can power the home sustainably and can lower the cost of maintenance after installation. It is also a great way to see a green impact and one that will save a lot of expenses. Here are some benefits of solar power for your home;
1. Gives you control over your electricity
- If you want freedom from the utility companies with predictable electric bills then home solar panels and a home battery can offer great help. This will help you to avoid peak electricity rates and also provide reliable backup power when the grid goes down.
- Over the past ten years, electricity costs have drastically risen by 15%, and this is a trend that is likely to continue. Solar service agreements, however, can offer lower and predictable rates that are typically inexpensive than the electric company’s rates, so when you go solar you can expect, on average, to pay less for power.
- When you use solar energy at your home it will also give you freedom from the next blackout. The United States faces the highest number of power-outage minutes of any developed nation, and this is only likely to increase in an aging power grid and face extreme weather events.
2. Provides clean, renewable energy
- The use of solar energy is an emissions-free, clean, and renewable energy source. Unlike fossil fuels such as coal or natural gas, home solar is less harmful, they don’t release harmful pollutants or greenhouse gas emissions, like carbon dioxide into the air and water supply.
- By decreasing air pollution, your solar can prevent almost $167 billion in health and environmental damages and can almost save 25,000 lives.
- In the city of New York, a household that switches to a renewable energy source like solar panel can eliminate the equivalent of burning over 5,000 pounds of coal, and that results in carbon emissions.
3. Increases home value
- Another benefit of solar energy and solar batteries is the increase in home value. Across the United States, solar panels raise the value of a home by 4.1% on average. This means a home valued at $500,000 can be increased by $20,500.
- Specific numbers may vary between each installation and property, however recent studies have shown an average increase in the resale value between $4,020-$5,911 for each kilowatt of solar panels installed.
- The cost of an average rooftop solar installation, as well as battery, is generally recouped in the sale price of the home. Including, households that purchase solar are also rewarded with lower energy bills and even healthy tax incentives which cover the costs of the system multiple times over the life of its warranty.
- The length of time that your solar-powered home is on the market may often vary by region of the country. A solar energy installation can help you to sell your home 20% faster than residences that do not have solar panels.
4. Costs have fallen
In recent years the cost of home solar systems has fallen dramatically, in just the last decade the costs have fallen more than 70%. The cost of home solar batteries has dropped substantially.